COVID-19 Testing Protocol for All Credentialed Vice-Presidential Debate Participants
Oct. 6-7 Testing Requirements
- All individuals who require entrance into the hard perimeter from Oct. 6 AND 7, will be required to be tested no later than Oct. 5 at 5 p.m.
- If you need access within the hard perimeter Oct. 7, ONLY, you may be tested as late as 5 p.m. on Oct. 6, using the form below.
- A negative test result will allow access for 72 hours beginning at 7 a.m., the morning after the test. A second test is not needed to access the perimeter after the end of the debate.
- You must reserve a time to be tested using the form at the bottom of this page.
- Testing will be conducted in the Rice-Eccles Stadium NORTH tower, Gate E entrance and follow instructions to the fourth floor.
- Check in at the reserved time be tested.
- Under observation, the test will be self-administered with an anterior nasal swab plus an oropharyngeal swab.
- Tested individuals must self-quarantine for 12 hours until they receive test results.
- A health care representative will call only those individuals with a positive result no later than 7 a.m. the day after being tested. If you have not been contacted within 12 hours of your test, assume the test result is negative.
- Those with negative results can return to the testing location at 8 a.m. the following day to receive the official perimeter credential and colored wristband, a visual indicator of having been tested and a negative result.
- Colored wristbands must be worn at all times until 10 p.m. on the Oct. 7 (or you no longer need access to the secured area).
- Regardless of your testing status, it is critical that all individuals follow the university guidelines to wear a face covering, social distance appropriately, refrain from event participation if you are experiencing symptoms and follow good hand-washing practices at all times.
What if my COVID-19 test comes back positive?
Anyone testing positive with low virus detected will have their test rerun to confirm positivity prior to being excluded from the event as long as they arrive at the testing center prior to Oct. 6 at 5 p.m. Anyone testing positive thereafter will be a “provisional positive” and will not be able to have the test confirmed. Provisional positives will still be excluded from the debate.
Should any member of the media, CPD, university staff, student volunteers or vendors test positive for COVID 19, will have access to 24/7 emergency medical care through the University of Utah Health system. Our Hospital Epidemiologist will work directly with positive individuals and will be working with Salt Lake County Health Department.
WHAT IS THE COST FOR EACH COVID-19 TEST?
Each test costs $100 per test and must be covered by either the individual or media outlet in advance of the test. This is the Medicare rate to cover costs that supply the tests and keep everyone safe.
The University of Utah is covering the costs for all staff members supporting the debate as well as all student volunteers.
To process payments in advance contact Brandy Cooper at email@example.com via email with your request and contact information. You will receive a call back within the hour.
I can’t get a test between Oct. 1-6, what do I do?
Email VPdebateTesting@utah.edu immediately for instructions.
Testing Questions Relevant to Secured Perimeter Access: Contact Stadium and Arena Services at 801-585-1018.
If you are symptomatic or have general health-related questions, contact the University of Utah Health hotline at 801-587-0712.
COVID-19 SAFETY STANDARDS
- You must wear a face mask at all times. Cloth masks are not acceptable. Blue surgical masks are being required and will be available on site.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 15-20 seconds. If soap and water aren’t available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice physical distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from others.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.